Friday, May 8, 2009

Hanbit Apartments

These are the apartments we live in. They are called the Hanbit Apartments, and everyone knows where they are. What I mean by that is, when we get into a taxi we don't give them our address, we just say the Hanbit apartments and they know exactly where that is. There are 6 or so different buildings and most of them have 18 stories. This picture is not our building but the one across from us. I wanted to show how they got our furniture, including our piano, up to the 13th floor.
They load it on a flat piece of plywood board, which has no sides or railings or anything!!Then they elevator it up to the top. When they delivered our furniture, our mattress was a little stuck coming through the window. Without hesitation, the man jumped out of our window, on to the board, and pushed it through, with NO saftey devices connected to him in case he fell off!!! And to top it all off, we are on the 13th floor!!!
This is the view from our back window balcony. When we step out our apartment building, there are mountain hiking trails within 5 feet. Any outdoor enthuisists dream. There are stone memorials along the trails. I'll be sure to take pictures when I can.


Here is the playground, also visible from our back balcony window. Since taking this picture, they have torn out the playground (I think they are replacing it).


3 comments:

Ariana said...

Wow, I can't believe how dangerous that looks! I'm glad your stuff made it safely and that the man wasn't hurt. That's funny that you live on the 13th floor. I thought apartment buildings and hotels skipped that floor. Maybe 13 isn't unlucky in Korea. :o)

Melanni said...

That's nuts how they moved your stuff in. Your view is fantastic!

Sarah Rockwood said...

What an adventure you guys are on. I am so glad you guys are experiencing other cultures, wish I were there!