Sunday, January 25, 2009

Ever felt like a bowling ball??

Okay, so I can tell you exactly how a bowling ball feels. I know what it is like to go down the lane, using the bumpers for support (so you don't go in the gutter), and turn every which way while trying to knock down the pins at the end of the lane.

As most of you know, I start the nursing program this semester (tomorrow, actually), or that was the plan. In previous blogs, I wrote that my plan was to not have a plan, or so I thought was my plan. Things are constantly changing, whirling me in every direction. As I travel down the "alley" of life, I feel as though Heavenly Father "bumps" me back in the lane to prevent me from rolling into the "gutter". Jared got a call a couple of weeks ago informing us that our command sponsership (something that lets me and the girls go with Jared) to Korea has been approved. All my books were already purchased and I was going to my first nursing meeting the next day. I was so confused as to what to do. What would Heavenly Father want me to do? I prayed and found no answer that brought me comfort. Either I stayed home with both our girls for a year and get my LPN while Jared was gone, or, I go with him, throw away all the classes I have been taking for the last couple of years, and scramble to get things ready to go to Korea.

After deciding to do the latter, I swallowed the lump in my throat, cancelled all my classes for this semester, returned all my books, and booked four plane tickets to Korea through the military transportation office. I then scheduled for our household goods to be picked up. That's when I found out that we are only allowed to ship over 2250 lbs with us. Now, if you don't know, a normal room has about 1000 lbs in it. We have a 2100 sq ft house, with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. We also have a piano and very heavy bowflex dumbells. So, for the past couple of days, Jared and I have been majorly downsizing.

I am so grateful for all of these experiences that we have had, and I feel so grateful for all that we have. I feel like Heavenly Father is bumping me back on course when I get a little towards the edge. I also feel grateful that Jared and I have the opportunity to be together in Korea for a couple of years.

3 comments:

Melanni said...

Yay! You updated your blog(0: Looks like you had a fun Christmas in Kanosh. I always like your analogies; the one about the bowling ball was good, too(0: I'm sure you and your cute family will have lots of fun adventures in Korea!

Ariana said...

Vanessa, you are so amazing! You are such a good example to me. I am so happy that you will get to be with Jared and your girls. That is wonderful! I hope we can continue to stay in touch through the internet. I'm excited to hear about your adventures in Korea!

Catherine said...

Vanessa, I am so proud of you!!! I can't even tell you! Honestly, I was really worried about you going to nursing school and Jared going alone -- I have prayed for you to make the right decision (I really wanted you guys to go with Jared -- it is just too hard to split up the family. Besides what an amazing opportunty for all of you!) I didn't want to say anything, because it wasn't my business. But I admit, when I just read your blog, my spirits lifted! I am so proud of you for making the decision to put your family first above your own desires -- I know that must have been really hard, I know! But the Lord will bless you greatly.